Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, October 20, 2011

From Sweater to Dress

The other day as I was shopping at Target I found the cutest sweater dresses but they were a little pricey so a few days later I came across an idea online to make them out of old sweaters....SWEET!






She Loves It! 
 So much that she slept in it the first night


This was easy and fast to make I was giddy with excitement when I finished in an hour and I think it turned out really cute. 

So....want to make one?
Read More


Find an old sweater that maybe doesn't fit quite right, make sure it's long enough that's all you really need to measure.  I found mine at D.I., tight knits work the best for this project.




I used a dress that I liked the shape of and used it as my pattern.


Cut off the sides


It looks cute like this but the neck was way to big, and this is where it gets a little tricky but not bad.

Cut of the top, and round the back a little to where you like it.

In order to have a nice finished edge in the back I cut of the finished edge that I just cut off and pinned it right sides together all along the back edge and sewed it together.  Make sure the bottom of the dress still matches up and trim down shoulder seams a little if necessary.


Now sew your shoulder seams and side seams right sides together using a zig zag stitch to prevent puckering. (I didn't take a picture of this step)


Now all you have left are some sleeves so measure from shoulder to wrist and cut the bottom of the sweater sleeve off this will be your new little sleeve.  Mine were a bit to wide so I trimmed them down and sewed up the seam again.

Now turn your dress inside out and place your sleeve inside the opening, lining up seams and pin all the way around and sew.

And that's it you have a cute little sweater dress that cost only  $3.00 now I just need to find the perfect stripey tights to go with it.



01 02